Sunday, March 22, 2009

Match Day Results

Well, gratefully my wife has kept the Dalley Alley afloat with a selection of choice images and wonderful commentary.

The fourth year of a medical student is somewhat of an emotional roller coaster. The clinical obligations are not as rigorous as the third year for days often end shortly after lunch and call is a scarcity. Nonetheless, there are events that tax the very emotional stability of a man.

Usually sometime in July of a medical student's fourth year, one begins to prepare his application to submit to various residencies of his choosing. This includes hunting down three to four faculty that are willing to make glowing comments about your future as a physician, writing a personal statement about how your first words as a baby were Mama, Dada, and (insert specialty here), and scrounging up any remotely philanthropic contributions to society.

After submitting applications (for me it was in the neighborhood of 35 applications) you wait for any invitation for an interview. I was fortunate enough to interview at 14 programs across the country from Washington to Maryland and everything in between.

Then after all your interviews you submit a rank order list online of where you would like to go for residency, while at the same time the programs rank all interviewees. Where the twain meet is called THE MATCH and that is the place where you will spend the next 3-5 years of your life.

So on Thursday March 17th at 11am every medical student across the country sat with sweaty palms holding an envelope with the results of their MATCH and on "GO!" they tore open the letter hoping they get their hearts desire.

As for the Dalley family we will be spending a year in Amarillo Texas doing a year of Preliminary Medicine and then spend the next three years at Johns Hopkins Hospital in the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Krista and I could not be more excited.

Despite the mutliple comments about how crime ridden Baltimore is, we take heart because we know all manner of wonderful people up in that area and we could not have matched a more fabulous program.

So, I can't wait for the soft shell crab and the Ravens aren't that bad a team.

The above image made the front cover of the Lubbock Avalanche Journal. My mother is on the left with the look of surprise. Ethan is on the right making sure he read the letter right. Krista is in the middle with the look of shock just before she started to cry tears of joy (I hope).


15 comments:

Caleb and Marci said...

Congrats! That is super exciting! We have some good friend right outside Baltimore and their area was not scarey or crime-ridden, so I am sure you will find a great place to enjoy your time. Best of luck!

Joz1234 said...

We are excited for you both!! Good luck on your journey through residency. Ours has provided us with ups and downs and overall, we have been thankful and happy through it.

Ed just applied to Johns Hopkins Pain today...we shall see what the future holds. :)

The Letterman's said...

congrats, what an exciting adventure! P.S. Krista you look beautiful, love the hair!
Linde

Jessica said...

Congratulations! How exciting that you get to live in Baltimore and have an adventure before you settle down somewhere permanently.

Josh and Aleesha said...

Congrats Ethan! That's exciting. I was just getting ready to email you to find out and thought I would check Aleesha's blog. Glad you got PM & R.

Christina said...

Congrats Ethan! What a wonderful opportunity for you and your family. Keep blogging about your little family. I love to see them!

Jana and Mario said...

Congratulations!! We are so excited for you guys. Hope everything works out with moving and make sure to keep in touch.

Nordy's said...

I think it is FABULOUS that you are going to Baltimore. I head there next month for a consult w/a plastic surgeon. Seriously, who can be disgruntled knowing they are going to one of the top hospitals in the US? Good luck and I, for one, am very excited for you!

Melissa Smith said...

congrats and btw krista you look smokin hot,

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

YEAH! That is great! Baltimore needs some Texas flare. I am really happy for you guys! Hope the move goes well!

Tracy Laverty said...

We are so thrilled for you guys! What a wonderful opportunity. Once you move out here- we can visit with you a little bit more often. I love the picture of you all in shock.

Josh said...

Way to go Ethan!!!

I have in-laws in Baltimore now and they are "surviving it". Ironically, it looks like I may have a possible job opportunity opening up in ..... Lubbock of all places. Interesting the twists and turns of the world around us. Glad I found your blog. I keep up with Aaron as often as I can.

Hope this finds you well. Good luck!

Josh Walles

Josh said...

Oh, and I also maintain a blog at joshwalles.blogspot.com and can be reached by email at jswallesdaf (at) hotmail (dot) com, should you be interested. Hope this finds you well. Your family is extremely cute by the way.

Joz1234 said...

Hey, you two got away from me before I got to say bye! Make sure you email me your contact info!! Maybe we will meet up in Baltimore in a year? Who knows! I'll keep you posted!!

Karen said...

Krista....You have a very cute family. Your match picture looks a lot like ours did! David had a huge grin and I was shocked! Check out March of 08 on my blog. Excited you are heading our way.